Saturday, October 23, 2010

Every Day a New Discovery

This week you discovered your hands. You were sitting in your high chair, and I was feeding you dinner. You like feeding yourself finger foods, so we try to incorporate some waffles or pieces of bread, something you can grab in every meal. After you successfully maneuvered an item into your mouth, your moving fingers caught your attention. You chewed slowly, examining the hand that had caught your attention, the right one. You moved your fingers gently, and reached your left hand over to touch them. You turned your right hand backwards, and then frontwards again, checking it out thoroughly. You waved it a little bit and then examined your fingers again. I was in awe watching you, imagining the wheels turning inside that big head of yours, realizing for the first time that that hand is yours and you can use it as you wish.

You are scooting across the floor, using your hands to pull you forward while your big toe helps bring up the rear. You have made progress in this technique over the past 10 days or so, and you lift your butt up and position yourself on your knees, but you haven't graduated to full crawler status yet. We're in no hurry, as you are so adventurous and fearless, that once you figure out how to move quickly, you're gonna take off. You are also "cruising" furniture; holding on while standing up and working your way around each piece slowly. Your favorite place to do this is on the ottoman in your room, which I covered with a blanket that has a big fuzzy doggy head on it. You can't pull yourself up there yet, but once I position you in front of him, you do your little crackle laugh (almost sounds like a cough) and grab him by the ears and nuzzle him affectionately. Of course you also still have to taste everything, as part of your normal development. I don't think that fuzzy doggy tastes too spectacular, though.

Today I am taking you to your aunt Amy's for an overnight visit, while your Dad and I go out to dinner and to a Halloween Party. This is the same party we went to last year where I incorporated you into my Humpty Dumpty costume, which everyone loved. You were adorable even before you came out! You are going to be a monkey for Halloween, and I am going to bring your costume to Amy's so you can play dress-up with your cousins, who I am sure are anxious for the holiday to arrive. Tomorrow we are going to Alpine Village in Torrance for Oktoberfest, which I know you will love. Anytime we take you among crowds of people with music and great, happy energy, you light up like a Christmas Tree.

At nine months old, you are truly the most wonderous thing that has ever happened to me! I love you with all my heart!

No comments: